The reference among divers' watches. That's what Rolex calls its venerable Submariner. And some 60-plus years since it was first introduced, the Submariner remains to this day one of the world's most recognisable timepieces. Rolex is a watchmaker that rests on its laurels, and in the case of the Submariner it's for good reason. The Submariner is a generational timepiece. It's the kind of watch you buy because of its history, because of what it represents. Some may throw shade at Rolex for not changing much with the 2020 Submariner, but unnecessary change is just that: unnecessary, unwarranted. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You don't always need to reinvent the wheel. I've got idioms for days when it comes to the Submariner.
Anyway, enough blabber. Onto the watch. What's new?
- New movements, with the calibre 3230 powering the classical 'no-date' Submariner and the calibre 3235 powering the 'date' models
- Both of the new movements have a power reserve of about 70-hours, both feature the new Chronergy escapement which helps improve efficiency and reliability, and both are resistive to magnetic fields
- Case diameter has been increased to 41mm (from 40mm)
- Now features slimmer, more tapered lugs
- The bracelet is 1mm wider, assuming to balance out the case size increase
- You now have the Rolex "crown" between "Swiss" and "Made" at the bottom of the dial.
And see the new Submariner models along with pricing below (AUD):
Rolex Submariner 124060 (steel, black Cerachrom bezel, no-date) - $11,400
Rolex Submariner 126610LN (steel, black Cerachrom bezel, date) - $12,900
Rolex Submariner 126610LV (steel, green Cerachrom bezel, date) - $13,450
Rolex Submariner 126613LB (two-tone, blue Cerachrom bezel, date) - $20,200
Rolex Submariner 126613LN (two-tone, black Cerachrom bezel, date) - $20,200
Rolex Submariner 126618LB (yellow gold, blue Cerachrom bezel, date) - $52,150
Rolex Submariner 126618LN (yellow gold, black Cerachrom bezel, date) - $52,150
Rolex Submariner 126619LB (white gold, blue Cerachrom bezel, date) - $55,950
Hopefully we'll have some live pics in the next few weeks, too!